Data Quality Manager
The BBC aims to stimulate and delight audiences across the UK with distinctive, creative content. To support this aim, BBC is entering a new charter period of significant and exciting change, developing new capabilities in order to define a BBC fit for the next generation.
We are making the shift from being a broadcaster that speaks to our audiences to being a service that is shaped by them and designed around their wants and needs. To achieve this mission of being a Digital First BBC, we are building a data organisation which will lead cultural and organisational change. This includes transitioning the BBC to a data product organisation, evolving our data architecture and embedding data capabilities company wide. To help us progress along that journey, the recently created Data Governance function plays a crucial part.
The Data Governance function sits under the Director of Data in Product Group. We are establishing the Data Governance team in order drive the implementation of our Data Governance strategy. This role will report to the Head of Data Governance, in Product Group.
Trusted data is a fundamental aspect of our data strategy. Having an operational Data Quality framework will be essential to deliver on it.
Are you the right candidate?
As a Data Quality Manager in the Data Governance function, your role is pivotal to establish a Data Governance framework. In the role, you will be responsible for supporting the definition and implementation of data quality frameworks and best practices as well as hands on analysis of data sets through data profiling and cleansing tools.
- Support the creation and roll out of a Data Quality framework to assess, design, execute and monitor Data Quality controls
- Support the data teams to implement and uplift Data Quality measurement and monitoring capabilities
- Ensure Data Quality rules are defined and captured within our data catalogue tool
- Support the business and data teams to maintain their Data Quality rules on a BAU basis
- Ensure accurate, regular, MI is produced to give visibility to the Data Governance Committee and other forums on Data Quality results across critical data, including adherence to standards, processes and reusability
- Establish a Data Quality issue management process
- Support BAU and change management processes corresponding to Data Quality measurement, monitoring and issue management capabilities
- Develop Data Quality management guidelines to help data teams manage the quality of their data in a standard and consistent way
- Conduct Data Quality tool assessments and POCs as needed, and develop recommendations on appropriate implementation, configuration and use of these tools
- 3-5 years hands on experience working in Data Quality Management and implementation of Data Quality frameworks
- Previous experience in data analysis, data profiling and DQ dashboard creation
- The ability to positively engage and influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Experience working with data quality tools such such as Great Expectations, Monte Carlo , Attacama, or similar Data Quality solutions.
- Experience writing, executing, scheduling SQL queries
- Experience using analytics and dashboarding tools such as Tableau
- Ability to work with large and multiple data sets, strong analytical and numeracy skills, high attention to detail, high levels of accuracy, organised and methodical with the ability to problem solve.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to engage, influences and develop strong relationships with business stakeholders.
- Experience defining Data Quality rules / business rules / data controls
Highly Regarded Skills
- Good understanding of a broad range of systems, cloud and on-premises platforms, databases (database management studios) and how they integrate (ETL, ELT, Messaging, APIs etc.).
- Experience with Data Governance and Metadata management tools (Collibra, DataHub or similar)
- Exposure to / experience of operational risk management
If you have experience in data quality and a passion for driving value through data, then we want to talk to you!
- Work and tasks are from direct stakeholder relationships (or occasionally from line manager). Principle Data Analysts will often be guiding the analysis within an specific area.
- Decision making
- Agrees decisions with the key stakeholder
- Prioritisation of work for others as well as themselves
- Often autonomous in day to day work
- Provides technical expertise in the development and implementation of data analysis capability and standards; promoting best practice within the area of business
- Assessing options for business as usual and emerging technologies
- Management or guidance of a sub-team or specialist area providing technical expertise across: project teams; technical delivery resources; an emerging matrix organisation
- Management of senior stakeholder relationships across multiple areas of the BBC
- People Management: Often has direct reports.
- Budget responsibility: indirect, helping Lead Data Analysts and Head of Data in managing and selecting suppliers and tooling
- Learns and develops new and emerging approaches
- An employer pension contribution of up to 10%.
- Annual leave 26 days, (based on your working pattern 1 of which is a corporation day) + bank holidays of course with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
- Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, flexi-time and compressed hours.
- Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
- An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Disability Networks and many more.
- This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their BBC office and part of the week from home.